Are you ready for a hot and slow ride through Portland this weekend? ODOT will close all southbound lanes of Interstate 5 from the Fremont Bridge to Interstate 84 at 10 p.m. Friday, July 13. During the closure crews will grind down and repave the freeway. Lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, July 16. The whole process repeats next weekend, July 20-23.
Traffic will be diverted onto I-405 southbound over the Fremont Bridge to rejoin I-5 south of the Marquam Bridge. The ramp from westbound Interstate 84 onto southbound I-5 will remain open on both weekends. With drivers headed to I-84 eastbound already diverted onto I-405 during that ramp’s closure, driving south through Portland should be very congested.
Three on-ramps to southbound I-5 will also be closed during the same hours this weekend:
- North Going Street on-ramp.
- North Greeley Avenue on-ramp.
- North Winning Way on-ramp.
- Northbound I-5 closures for paving will be held later in the summer. For more information about all the summer highway closures in the Portland area, go to BigFixPDX.com.
DOWNTOWN 8:33 a.m.; Crash on I-405 southbound near Sixth Avenue overpass. Traffic backed up to the Fremont Bridge.
Update 9:05 a.m.; Crash is clear to the right shoulder. Still a tight fit and traffic snarled back into northeast Portland on I-5 south and to Sylvan on U.S. 26 east.
VANCOUVER 7:50 a.m.; Crash I-5 southbound near Fourth Plain has the center lane blocked.
Update 8:10 a.m.; Cleared
Travelers will experience delays on days when layers of oil and gravel for the chip seal are applied and swept. The 11.5 miles of roadway will remain open in both directions, with flaggers and pilot vehicles guiding traffic when a lane is closed. Work will typically begin by 7:30 a.m. (weather depending) and the projects extend into August. Here’s a list of affected roads:
- SE Division Drive, from Loop to 302nd
- SE Hurlburt Road, from HCRH to Littlepage
- SE Trout Creek Road, from Gordon Creek to the dead end
- NW Gillihan Road, from Milepost 2 to Reeder
- NW Elliott Road, from Rock Creek to Skyline